Suspecting you have mold inside your home can lead to feelings of anxiety, disgust, dejection, frustration, or even panic. Trying to sell your home is a perfectly normal reaction in this instance, but that really is not a good idea. You’re unlikely to get away with trying to pass the problem on to somebody else, and the consequences are likely to be unpleasant for you.
In its early stages mold is not that easy to detect, so it’s not surprising that many people live in a home that has mold and they never realize it is present. They are unaware of the symptoms and only gradually realize there is a problem when they can actually see the signs of mold or when it begins to affect their health.
Warning Signs of Mold:
It is important to be aware of what the warning signs are that you may be sharing your home with more than just your family. The symptoms to look out for that you might have mold include:
- A strange smell: Mold has a powerful, often stifling, musty odor. When it is confined to just one area of your home, you might notice a horrible persistent musty smell in the house. Mold can often live inside the walls or behind wallpaper on the walls, and, as it’s out of sight, you might not readily associate the odor with mold. If you do become aware of a regular, unpleasant odor in your home, there’s a good chance you could have mold, my friend.
- The appearance of mold: In your shower enclosure or around you bath tub: First: it is easy to differentiate between normal soap scum and mold by their color with mold being invariably black and soap scum being any thing from grey to the color of soap you use. However, in the basement or cellar (the two likeliest places in you home where mold tends to gather) you may have to look a bit further to find the mold. Mold will always start in damp areas, so if you have an area of floor, wall or ceiling with a damp problem, start looking for mold here first.
- Health symptoms: Since mold is often invisible, it can be hard to accept you have a mold problem. Do a quick health check of those who live in the home for any of these symptoms: does anybody feel listless, or suffer from congestion, or experience watering of their eyes while inside your home? These can all be signs of contact with mold spores.
But they can be symptoms of something completely different. So, another question to ask is do they tend to feel better when away from the home such as when at work or out shopping. If they feel that their health problems seem to begin shortly after returning home, then you should begin to strongly suspect you have mold in your home.
If you suspect a mold problem
If after carrying out the above checks, you suspect you might have a mold problem, you’ll need to carry out you own investigation by checking all the moist and potentially moist areas in your home. If that doesn’t turn up any evidence of mold problems, it’s probably time to call in a professional and have an in-depth investigation carried out.
Don’t ignore any warning signs that you may have mold in your home. Burying your head in the sand or turning a blind eye in the hope it will go away only worsens the problems you will experience. Be thorough in finding the source of mold and eliminating it as soon as possible. After all, nothing is more important than the health of your loved ones and yourself.